Welcome to the Website for the Proposed
Magee Ranches Development Project
History of Magee Ranches
In 1949, the Magee family moved their beef cattle operations from Nevada to Danville. The original Magee Ranches, owned by Harry H. Magee, consisted of approximately ±1200 acres which his family used for their beef cattle operations and were previously used as a sheep farm and walnut orchards. These ±1200 acres spanned south of Diablo Road from what is currently the Green Valley/McCauley/Diablo Road intersection and east to what is now Magee Ranch Road and the current Magee Ranch neighborhood.
In the 1950s Harry Magee sold the walnut orchard portion of his property, which was gradually subdivided, and is today home to existing residences south of Diablo Road and north of the existing Ranches boundary, known today as the Diablo Creek neighborhood (Creekledge Court, Diablo Creek Court, Diablo Creek Way, Cameron Court, San Andreas Drive, and Jillian Way) and the residences to the east of Jillian Way (Arends Drive, Still Creek Road, Still Creek Place, Tree Creek Place, and Fish Creek Place).
After Harry passed away, his two sons, Hap Magee and Jerry Magee, subdivided the remaining ranch land, with Hap Magee's portion of property eventually being sold and later developed into what is now the Magee Ranch neighborhood. In 1985, Jerry Magee acquired approximately 132 acres to the south of the original ranch boundary. In 2001, approximately 100 acres were sold to the Purcell family. Overall, approximately ±800 acres of the original Magee Ranches have already been developed, of which approximately ±340 acres were developed for residential uses and ±460 acres were created as permanent open space.
Today, the size of the remaining Magee Ranches property is ±410 acres and is operated and maintained by Jerry Magee's son, Jed Magee, and his family. This remaining ±410 acres is the portion of Magee Ranches which are discussed as a part of the current development proposal, which includes approximately ±38 acres of custom and cluster lots and ±372 acres of permanent open space.